As any owner knows, one of life's simple pleasures is petting your favorite dog. Running a hand over a soft coat of thick, shiny fur feels good to you and your dog. Unfortunately, if your dog has poor skin health, that simple pleasure might not be so pleasant.
What can you do?
- Check for pests. Examine your dog's coat and skin thoroughly for the presence of ticks, fleas, lice or other parasites. If you spot any, ask your vet for advice and follow the appropriate treatment.
- Consider allergies. If your dog is pest-free and otherwise healthy, his discomfort may be caused by an allergic reaction to something in its environment, such as pollen, dust or mold. Allergic dermatitis is an inflammation of the skin that results in licking, scratching, loss of fur and dry, flaky skin. To learn more about allergic dermatitis, read this article from the experts at Hill's.
- Talk to your vet. Skin conditions can have a wide range of causes - from parasites to allergies, from hormonal imbalances to bacterial infections, stress and more. Be sure to consult with your veterinarian about your dog's individual health and treatment options.
- Feed your dog well. Even if the cause of their skin condition is not dietary, many dogs can be helped with a high quality food formulated especially for skin sensitivity. Look for one containing high quality protein, essential fatty acids and antioxidants - all are important nutrients that can help protect your dog's skin.
You can find all those in Science Diet™
Sensitive Skin Adult dog food made especially for
adult dogs with dry, flaky, itchy and sensitive skin.
Sensitive Skin Adult:
- High levels of clinically proven antioxidants, including vitamins C + E and beta carotene, support a healthy skin and coat and are vital in helping to maintain your dog's healthy immune system and protect it from cellular oxidation caused by free radicals
- Increased levels of omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids nourish the skin and help replenish its natural oils
- Unique combination of high-quality protein and essential amino acids provide key building blocks for healthy skin and a shiny coat
Click here to learn more.
Vets' #1 Choice to Feed Their Own Pets™
Hill's™ Science Diet™ Brand